Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Thing 3: more about blogging

Mostly what I am discovering is that I'm not all that interested in reading about other people's daily lives, or their thoughts about their daily lives. I've got my hands full with my own life.

Technorati: It's text-heavy, which can be overwhelming--it makes it hard to filter out the stuff that I don't really need to read, which means that I end up having to scan everything. The searching is a bit imprecise--in my searches for entries about academic libraries I get a good deal of unrelated returns.

Blogscope: I'll try a search for "buffy the vampire slayer" (that's right, I'm down with popular culture). Oy vey, this is taking a really long time to load...(twiddling thumbs, whistling)...okay, that's enough, who's got time for this? Not me.

Sphere: Oh my god, there is a whole blog devoted to celebrity gossip. There's probably more than one out there in the blogosphere, but Sphere gets props for bringing them to my attention. I cannot express how happy this makes me. I officially endorse Sphere. (p.s. check out the damon-affleck vacation photo--it's heartwarming).

Okay, I went back to Sphere because I felt badly about not even attempting to search for library-related topics. I was too easily swayed by the promise of celebrity gossip. So I did a search for academic libraries. And I found a few things.

Blog.Ask.com: Did a search for academic libraries, and lo and behold, it looks like ACRL is offering an online seminar on copyright. I really need to take that. Oh, there's also something on SFPL going live with LINK+. I think that Blog.Ask.com returned the most useful information of all the blog search engines.

Bloggies: I tried to look at the list of nominees, but couldn't get there. It's either a chair-to-keyboard interface error, or the site isn't working properly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nothing like dangling the carrot of pop culture information over a person to inspire them to explore technology.