Monday, June 25, 2007

Thing 4: Flickr




If I were someone who owned a digital camera, and enjoyed taking pictures, I would be all over this Flickr thing. I love the organization, the sharing, the social bookmarking. And all those Flickr tools are great--you could get all your holiday gifts taken care of in one fell swoop.

The sheer number of photos available in Flickr is somewhat intimidating. I had a hard time choosing what I might want to search for, my mind went blank at the thought of so much information at my fingertips. So I checked out the popular tags and picked one: architecture. I like architecture. "Self,"I said, "What's my favorite kind of architecture?" Bungalows! Clearly, craftsmen bungalows! There were quite a few photos available, but the photo above, courtesy of Allan Ferguson, demonstrates the beauty and whimsy that I find so endearing in the craftsman home.

Now, if I were, say, a professor of architecture, I might find Flickr to be a useful tool for demonstrating architectural movements to my class. And if I were, say, working on designing a library building and I needed to convey my design needs to architects, I could find photos of important design elements.

No comments: