Let me begin by saying, I <3 (that's a heart, on it's side) Wikipedia. I am not threatened by the fluidity, the constant evolution of the information. I even updated something once! It was so liberating! I can't tell you what I updated, because it would incriminate me, but trust me, it was significant.
Library Wikis...
I became engrossed in Princeton's Book Lover's wiki. I enjoyed reading the reviews, especially for books I've already read, because then I know if the reviewer is right on (i.e., his/her opinion matches my own) or full of it (i.e., I don't agree with his/her opinion). So I spent some time on the reviews. I imagined what it would be like if our users were able to add book reviews. As with most experiments, it could be great, or it could be disastrous.
I am familiar with the best practices wiki, because Jenn (Walker) Laredo (Remember her? Boy do i miss her!) brought it to my attention awhile ago. The portion on Resource Sharing is particularly relevant for me--you know, 'cause I work in Resource Sharing and all...
Practical Applications...
Sometimes I can't decide which might serve my purposes better, a blog or a wiki. I think blogs and wikis can serve similar purposes. I imagine that a wiki would be useful for UC Resource Sharing folks, like the VDX Task Force, or the Interlibrary Loan Advisory Group. We could post our policies...assuming that we ever have a set of policies that we all agree to follow. I guess for now we could post our shared "guidelines." See, guidelines, unlike policies, give us more flexibility. To do whatever we want to do instead of follow agreed-upon policies. Anyway, point of story: a wiki would allow us to post our guidelines, update them, post/edit meeting minutes. But I guess a blog could do a lot of that, too. Shoot.
To blog or to wiki? A question for the ages.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I think a VDX practices wiki'd be the way to go, really. That way, you could update the procedures and policies as they change. You'd lose the archival nature of a blog, I suppose, but the entry for, say "how the heck do I update a conditional?" would always be in the same spot. But then, you might enjoy laughing at all the crazy steps you used to have to do to update a conditional. Of course, this example assumes that little workflow nightmare has been fixed. :) You could also throw in your workflow maps. Wouldn't that be a pretty picture.
I am toying with the idea of implementing a housekeeping wiki at my house. To track information such as "what is our shared understanding of the task we call VACUUMING THE FLOOR?" It's nerdy, undoubtedly, and some might even say controlishly freakish. But those people would be missing the highly motivating power a technical doohickey can truly have on a dorky family.
Wow, I can pretty much keep up with what EVERYONE in ILL thinks about web 2.0 stuff. This is cool!! If only Kerry had enabled her comments. Heh.
Post a Comment